|CHM112 Home Page||Reference Materials||Homework Assignments||Lectures||Exams & Quizzes||Grades||Study Aids||URI Home Page|
1. When aqueous hydrogen azide reacts with aqueous hydrogen peroxide the products are water and nitrogen gas.
a. At some temperature, when the initial concentration of hydrogen peroxide is 0.025 M, after 5 s the concentration has decreased to 0.019 M. What is the initial rate of loss of hydrogen peroxide? Give the units.
b. For the same experiment as part a), what is the initial rate of gain of nitrogen gas?
2. The following data was measured for the reaction: 2NO2(g) 2NO(g) + O2(g) at 573 K.
Find the rate law for the reaction, determine the value of the rate constant, and give the units of the rate constant.
3. For the reaction C2H5Br(aq) + OH(aq) C2H5OH(aq) + Br(aq) the rate constant at 25 oC was found to be 8.8×105 M1s1 while at 35 oC the rate constant was measured to be 2.8×104 M1s1. Estimate the activation energy in units of kJ/mol and determine the total order of the reaction.
4. Write the mass action expression for Kc for the following reactions:
a. CO2(g) CO(g) + O2(g)
b. CH4(g) + O2(g) CH3OH(l)
c. CaCO3(s) CaO(s) + CO2(g)
5. Find the equilibrium constant Kc for the reaction: CdS(s) + 2H3O+(aq) Cd2+(aq) + H2S(aq) + 2H2O(l), given the following data (T = 25 oC):
CdS(s) + H2O(l) HS(aq) + Cd2+(aq) + OH(aq)
Kc = 8×1028
H2S(aq) + H2O(l) H3O+(aq) + HS(aq)
Kc = 1.0×107
H3O+(aq) + OH(aq) 2H2O(l)
Kc = 1.0×1014
6. Consider the reaction nitrogen gas with oxygen gas to form nitrogen monoxide gas, which is an endothermic reaction. Which way does the reaction shift if:
a. Nitrogen is added to the reaction mixture?
b. The total pressure is increased by decreasing the volume of the reaction vessel?
c. The temperature is increased?
7. The following equilibrium data was obtained for the reaction H2(g) + I2(g) 2HI(g):
Find the average Kc and Kp for this reaction.