1. Give the n, l, and all of the ml quantum numbers for the 4f orbital. Sketch the radial wave function as a function of distance from the nucleus. How many radial and angular nodes are found for this orbital?
2. Find the electron configuration and ground state term symbol for a) Fe; b) Mn2+; c) F–; d) V3+; e) V4+
3. Predict the trend in the density of the first row transition metals, Sc to Zn.
4. Write out the Born-Haber cycle required to calculate the lattice energy for MgO. Do not calculate the lattice energy, but label all of the required thermodynamic quantities.
5. Write the Lewis dot structure showing the formal charges, predict the structure including an estimate of all bond angles, and indicate the likely hybrid orbital on the central atom for the following: a) NH3; b) SF6; c) XeF2; d) XeF4.