1. Give the n, l, and all of the ml quantum numbers for the 3d, 4d, and 5d orbitals. Sketch the radial wave function as a function of distance from the nucleus on a single graph for all three orbitals.
2. Find the electron configuration and ground state term symbol for a) Fe3+; b) Mn; c) S2–; d) Cr3+; e) Cu+.
3. Estimate the lattice energy for fluorite (CaF2). Ionic radii are found in Table 1.5 (pg. 25) and Madelung constants are found in Table 2.5 (pg. 55). The Born exponent has a value of 8.5.
4. Write the Lewis dot structure showing the formal charges, predict the structure including an estimate of all bond angles, and indicate the likely hybrid orbital on the central atom for the following: a) PF3; b) SiF62–; c) ClO2–; d) SO2.
5. The MO diagram for cyanide ion calculated by a computer program is given below. Label each orbital as σ, σ*, π, π*, δ, or δ*. What is the bond order? Compare this to the bond order found from a Lewis structure.