1. The Pauling electronegativity generally decreases going down the Periodic Table. Ga and Ge are exceptions to this conclusion. Suggest an explanation for the anomaly for Ga and Ge.
2. Find the electron configuration and ground state term symbol for a) Cr3+; b) Nb+; c) Cl–; d) Cu3+.
3. Label (1s, 2s, etc.) the following atomic orbitals based on their nodal properties: a) 0 radial nodes, 3 planar nodes; b) 2 radial nodes, 2 planar nodes; c) 4 radial nodes, 1 planar node.
4. Write the Lewis dot structure showing the formal charges, predict the structure including an estimate of all bond angles, and indicate the likely hybrid orbital on the central atom for the following: a) XeF4; b) ICl2–; c) SO32–; d) XeO3.
5. Construct the molecular orbital energy diagram for BN. Using your MO diagram, determine the bond order. How does this compare to the bond order expected from a Lewis dot structure? Explain any difference.