1. Estimate the lattice energy for KBr, which exists in the rock salt structure and has a Born exponent of 9.5.
2. Despite having a filled electron configuration (s2d10), Zn is a metal. Explain.
3. Write the reaction between iodine monochloride and methylamine, showing the Lewis structure for the product(s). Estimate the enthalpy of reaction.
4. For each of the following pairs of aqueous solutions, indicate which will have the lower pH and explain your reasoning: a) 0.1 M Co(NO3)2 or 0.1 M Cu(NO3)2; b) 0.1 M Mn(NO3)2 or 0.1 M KMnO4; c) 0.1 M NaNO3 or 0.1 M AgNO3.
5. Complete and balance the following reaction and estimate the standard potential:
MnO4–(aq) + Mn(s) → Mn2+(aq) + Mn3+(aq)