1. Give the systematic name for the following compounds: a) [Cu(NH3)4]2+; b) [Fe(CN)6]3–; c) [Cr(NH3)3Cl3] in the C3v point group.
2. Give structures for the following compounds: a) bis-(η5-cyclopentadienyl)nickel(II); b) bichlorobifluorocobaltate(II) ion; c) cis-bicarbonylchloro(trifluorophosphine)rhodium(I).
3. For the following complexes, give the crystal field stabilization energy (in terms of Dq and P), the spin-only magnetic moment (in Bohr-Magnetons), and predict if the complex will be Jahn-Teller active. If the complex is Jahn-Teller active, indicate the likely nature of the distortion.
4. Indicate if the following complexes are likely to be stable. If not, suggest a simple reaction that could stabilize the structure.
b. [Mn(η5-cp)(CO)3] cp = cyclopentadienyl
5. [Mn(CO)4]3– has a CO stretching frequency in the IR spectrum that is ketone like. Write a Lewis dot structure that accounts for this observation. Use the Lewis structure and the formal definition for finding oxidation states to determine the oxidation state of the Mn in this ion.